Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Pregnant and Overweight!

I know, I can't believe I said it! But, at least I recognized it. I have to admit it's not something I am proud of, actually it's embarrassing. For most of my life, I was a pretty skinny girl, until I became married and pregnant. I often wondered why? Was it the new habits I picked up like: going on nightly runs to get a snack, drinking caffeine (seriously before I was married I vowed never to drink anything with caffeine, but now I drink Pepsi), I stopped working out at the gym, before I hit the gym everyday after work, etc.. the list goes on and on. Well, I guess I can't entirely blame it on being married and pregnant, because that simply won't cut it. I think its simply because I am lazy,, to say the least. Well, with this new pregnancy I told myself that I was going to exercise and simply be active and to drink plenty of water. Today, I went to my WIC appointment, ( i love WIC). For those who have WIC here is some advice regarding all the milk you get.. get powdered milk or evaporated milk and store it, you just never know when the lights might go out!! I've been with the WIC program for about four months and already I have plenty of milk for a rainy day. It's always good to be prepared. Well, back to the WIC appointment. Besides my regular prenatal checkups, I also get my weight checked there too. Today I found out that I have gained under a pound this past month, which is good says the nutritionist. When your overweight your expected weight gain is a lot lower than the average pregnant lady, simply because you already have extra stored nutrients. They recommend gaining 15 to 20 pounds (don't quote me on that, but its somewhere between there. So,I was pretty happy about it too because for the past couple of months I have been avoiding fried foods (but on occasions indulged myself), avoided candy, I drank plenty of water, and walked a mile to two miles almost everyday. I have not stopped eating, if your wondering, I still eat plenty of food, but more fruits and vegetables. I crave cucumbers all the time and oranges. So, so far being 18 months pregnant, I think I am doing okay. Plus, its warming up outside and already I have been outside a lot more. I am ready for winter to be over, so I can avoid layering myself when I take my daily walks, plus not to mention bundling up my kids too. They go where mommy goes, so I think they will appreciate the warm weather too. I should be finding out the sex of the baby soon, so maybe next time I will be blogging about the sex of the baby....yeah..exciting news coming up..

3 comments:

Amanda Bailey Halliday said...

awwww i can't wait to find out what your having =), my little sister is finding out what she's having in a couple weeks....babies are so exciting =). yeah i tried to do WIC while i was pregnant with Gali but alas out here in yavapai county they base it on income. so i had to go with out WIC. but i was always at the dr. office being that my preganancy was high risk. but yeah i'm soo happy for you. i hope all is going well and that your family is great. take care
ttyl
manda

Nava_jo said...

Tawn I can't wait for you to find out the sex of the baby! :) What fun all of us having kids! I have WIC and love it. What a great idea to get some of the milk in the dried form. In CA they gave you individual checks for each item. So you could get what you wanted when you wanted it. Here they make you get three gallons of milk at a time. Thats crazy.

Nava_jo said...

P.S. In CA they freaked out that I was overweight and pregnant. I was termed High Risk they monitored me and the baby all the time. yada yada yada. When I got here to AZ they didn't make a big deal out of it at all. Make my pregnancy alot less stressful, and it made watching what I ate more enjoyable. :)